Don’t Sacrifice Self-Care When You’re Travelling
12 Travel Must-Haves
Written by Lynn Power
Even though travel continues to be challenging with Covid surging everywhere it seems, many of us are optimistic that we’ll still be able to get out there in 2022 (including me – I have 3 trips planned, fingers crossed!). But it’s time to think about our travel must-haves differently in light of our newly embraced self-care routines.
There are great options for you to bring your self-care on the road and you don’t need to sacrifice your luxury essentials. Just check out our list of some of our favourite things (all small businesses so you can feel good supporting them). These travel must-haves are sure to make you feel relaxed, recharged and reenergized on the road – whether you’re looking to escape for a long weekend or a long-awaited European vacation.
- Just because you’re on the road, doesn’t mean you need to give up salon-quality haircare. Pack MASAMI’s luxury travel kit – perfect to keep your hair botanically hydrated and healthy, without frizz or any bad ingredients: no sulfates, parabens or phthalates. The luxury travel sizes of shampoo, conditioner, shine serum and styling cream will ensure you have a great hair day every day, no matter where you are. MASAMI works on virtually every hair type and texture and is also great in humidity and heat.
- Bring along an Isle de Nature Pagua Bay scent coin to make any hotel room, car or cabin smell luxurious and amazing (and eliminate any unwanted odours left behind by the previous travellers). The scent coin is a ceramic coin dipped in natural fragrance oils, inspired by the Caribbean island of Dominica. The scent is based on the bay tree (indigenous to Dominica) with floral and woodsy notes and will uplift your mood.
- Treat your skin. Sunscreen is an absolute must-have, even if I’m headed somewhere where it looks like it will be rainy and overcast. Get Olita’s mineral sunscreen, a clean formula without toxic ingredients. It’s great to throw in your bag, as they make a small stick perfect for travelling. It’s SPF 30, is made in the USA and is sustainable – plus Olita gives back a portion of its proceeds to the Coral Reef Alliance. So you’ll be doing good for your skin and the planet.
- Your lips need love too! Pick up a vegan lip butter from Melixir skincare. It’s clean and sustainable so you won’t worry about the 9 pounds of lipstick a woman is estimated to eat in her lifetime. A no-brainer!
- Opt for a stylish hat for a bit of extra protection (in our opinion, you can never have enough UV protection). We love these hats by Wallaroo. They are female-founded, sustainable and will have you looking stylish – and keep your skin protected – while you are out and about. They even have hats that are easy to fold up and pack, so it’s super easy to throw one in your bag. You’ll be happy you did.
- Get comfortable. If you plan on being active (yes, walking counts too!), bring a comfortable pair of socks, like Comrad Compression Socks. There’s nothing worse than achy feet or blisters when you want to get out and explore. Comrad socks are daily compression socks for all-day energy, support and comfort, not to mention they are quite stylish. Your feet (actually your whole body) will thank you.
- Secure your jewellery. Travelling with expensive jewellery can be stressful but with Chrysmela, you can rest assured that your earrings are safe. If you’ve ever lost an earring because the back came loose, you’ll understand the frantic search and stress it can cause (especially if it’s a high-quality or sentimental piece). Chrysmela earring backs are high quality, made in Japan and will give you much-needed peace of mind.
- A good night’s sleep is essential for a great trip. Sleep well with Impact Naturals CBD Rest supplements, designed to be faster-acting, longer lasting and more predictable than tinctures, gummies or gel capsules. Think of this as a little bit of insurance to keep your energy up and your trip active by guaranteeing your 8 hours of sleep.
- Get organized. These functional, sustainable Cadence capsules will help you bring along any staples you don’t want to donate to TSA (Cadence Capsules are .56 oz, leakproof, waterproof and airtight). They are great for storing jewellery, skincare or medications without taking up much space.
- Hydrate! We all know how important it is to stay hydrated but sometimes it’s not that easy to do. We like bringing along the Hidrate Spark 3, a 20-ounce water bottle that’s durable and tracks your water intake on an app, making it easy to get your fluids wherever you are.
- Don’t let your period get you down. Pack a Cora menstrual cup, simple to use and sustainable so you only need to pack one. Plus, Cora is female-founded as well!
- Last but not least, pack a Blure translucent powder in your bag. It’s a one-trick wonder that will leave your skin flawless. Plus, it’s clean, sustainable and female-founded and works on every skin tone. Once you start using it, you’ll wonder how you ever did without it.
We hope these travel must-haves give you some inspiration to continue your self-care wherever you go. With a bit of planning, you’ll be the savviest traveller around. We’d love to know what other “travel hacks” you love, please leave a comment below.
12 Travel Must-Haves 12 Travel Must-Haves