Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 20 mins | Servings: 4-6
- 4 tomatillos
- 1 ripe medium avocado
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro or coriander leaves, washed and dried
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Remove the husks, or calyx, from the tomatillos, and rinse under warm water to remove any sticky residue from the outside of the skin.
- There are two options to char the tomatillos (and jalapeno, if using). We are aiming for black blisters on the skin of the tomatillo.
- On the grill: place the tomatillos on a hot grill and char on all sides. Depending on temperature, this could take 4-8 minutes per side.
- In the oven under the broiler: Place the tomatillos on an broiler proof pan and place under the broiler for approx. 8 minutes per side.
- Remove the tomatillos (and jalapeno, if using) from the heat and allow to sit at room temperature, til cool to the touch.
- Halve the avocado and carefully remove the pit. Using a small paring knife, score a cross hatch pattern into the avocado. Be careful not to puncture the skin of the avocado and cut your hand.
- Scoop out the avocado into a medium sized bowl.
- Roughly chop the cilantro/coriander and add to the bowl.
- Finely mince the garlic and add to the bowl.
- Roughly chop the tomatillos (and jalapeno, if using) and add to the bowl also. Stir the salsa very well.
- Taste and season the salsa with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve with your favorite chips, or use as a topping on lean proteins and vegetables.
Want to skip the chopping? You can put all the ingredients into a small blender or food processor and blend to create a smooth and creamy salsa. Delish! Keep the salsa in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.