Tomatillo & Avocado Salsa
Written by Renata Trebing
Tomatillo is a unique ingredient more common throughout South America, and a little difficult to obtain here. Though you will be rewarded should you take the time to source this little ingredient and share in its amazing flavour. Tomatillo and Avocado Salsa is a perfect accompaniment for eggs, meats chicken or even fish, this is my preference.
Charred Tomatillo and Avocado Salsa
- 4 tomatillos
- 1 ripe medium avocado
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro or coriander leaves - washed and dried
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper - optional
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Remove the husks, or calyx, from the tomatillos, and rinse under warm water to remove any sticky residue from the outside of the skin.
- There are two options to char the tomatillos (and jalapeno, if using). We are aiming for black blisters on the skin of the tomatillo.
- On the grill: place the tomatillos on a hot grill and char on all sides. Depending on temperature, this could take 4-8 minutes per side.
- In the oven under the broiler: Place the tomatillos on an broiler proof pan and place under the broiler for approx. 8 minutes per side.
- Remove the tomatillos (and jalapeno, if using) from the heat and allow to sit at room temperature, til cool to the touch.
- Halve the avocado and carefully remove the pit. Using a small paring knife, score a cross hatch pattern into the avocado. Be careful not to puncture the skin of the avocado and cut your hand.
- Scoop out the avocado into a medium sized bowl.
- Roughly chop the cilantro/coriander and add to the bowl.
- Finely mince the garlic and add to the bowl.
- Roughly chop the tomatillos (and jalapeno, if using) and add to the bowl also. Stir the salsa very well.
- Taste and season the salsa with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve with your favorite chips, or use as a topping on lean proteins and vegetables.
Want to skip the chopping? You can put all the ingredients into a small blender or food processor and blend to create a smooth and creamy salsa. Delish! Keep the Tomatillo and Avocado Salsa in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Let’s Make a Difference
Every day we have the opportunity to make hundreds of choices. We are so fortunate to live in a time where information is so easily accessible and we have the opportunity and freedom to make choices that we feel are the best for us and our families.
I encourage you to continue educating yourself and others about the benefits of living a plant-based lifestyle. Cook a plant-based meal, opt out of products like leather, watch a documentary with a family member or friend. It’s easy to feel like the choices we make are small, but when we make these choices together, we can make a big difference!