Written by Ahmad Fraij
Have you ever heard about a home energy audit? What is it and what does it involve and what are its benefits? In this article, we will explain the home energy audit and why it is necessary to be conducted for any home.
A Home Energy Audit Usually Consists Of:
- Analysis to the energy bills (electricity & gas) to identify any anomalies
- Visual inspection to all the systems and equipment in the home that consume energy to evaluate their conditions and efficiency and provide the home owner with recommendations on how to use them efficiently and what modification or replacement is required to improve their efficiency.
- Analysis to the energy consumption of the major systems and equipment in the home to compare with the energy consumption in the bills and to identify the high energy users so the home owner can use them wisely.
- If the home owner has an old system or equipment and they are planning to replace it with new one, then the energy audit can help them decide on which system or equipment they can replace the old one with to increase the efficiency and save more energy. This includes estimating the energy consumption and cost of the old and the new equipment and then calculates the annual savings that can be achieved by this replacement.
We can see from the above energy audit scope of work that it is necessary for any homeowner so they can know where the energy goes in their home and what the wastage is and how to eliminate it.
Money Saving Benefits Of An Energy Audit:
- Reduce energy costs
- Reduce maintenance costs
- Increase the life span of the equipment and systems in the home
- Reduce greenhouse gases to protect the environment
- Reduce exposure to energy prices increases and volatility
- Improve the comfort conditions inside the home (draught-proofing, insulating the home fabric, resetting controls)
- Improve equipment utilization
- Reduce the consumption of natural resources
Energy audits can also be conducted for commercial buildings and facilities. For more details about the commercial energy audit, please read our article “Why Energy Audit is Important to the Building Owner and Tenants” at the following link: https://appliedenergysaving.com.au/why-energy-audit-is-important-to-the-building-owner-and-tenants/
How An Energy Audit Saves Money