Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin
Written by Midhun Vasan
Its not easy to find a vegan muffin if you walk into the best bakeries in town, right? They almost always have some dairy or eggs added to them. Well, if you are in the mood for an awesome vegan lemon-based muffin, you are in for a treat! This Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin, is ideal for those who are venturing into a vegan lifestyle and/or are allergic to dairy and eggs. Drizzle a thick lemon glaze on top for an extra zesty kick.
This recipe is a little time consuming, though once you get the hang of the recipe it is easy enough. It is a tasty recipe in its own right, which just happens to be suitable for a vegan diet.
A zesty taste is always refreshing, and the use of lemons in this recipe certainly hits the mark.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin
- Muffin Tin
- Mixing bowl
- Pastry Brush
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 2/3 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Oil + 1 tbsp
- 1/2 cup Freshly squeezed juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Powdered sugar
- 2-3 tsp Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- In a small bowl or container, take the almond milk. Add the vinegar to prepare the buttermilk solution. Mix and keep aside for 5 minutes to curdle
- In a large bowl, add sugar, oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix everything. Add the buttermilk solution to this and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds. Whisk till well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, little by little. Mix until the batter is evenly wet and all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Grease a muffin pan lightly with butter. Scoop out the batter and fill the muffin pan* with each mold being filled up to 2/3rd.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Let the muffins cool to room temperature in the pan itself. Use a butter knife to help release the muffins from the pan.
- Add the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl
- Whisk it well to get a thick glaze
- Pour it on to the muffin top.
Let’s Make a Difference
Every day we have the opportunity to make hundreds of choices. We are so fortunate to live in a time where information is so easily accessible and we have the opportunity and freedom to make choices that we feel are the best for us and our families.
I encourage you to continue educating yourself and others about the benefits of living a plant-based lifestyle. Cook a plant-based meal, opt-out of products like leather, watch a documentary with a family member or friend. It’s easy to feel like the choices we make are small, but when we make these choices together, we can make a big difference!