Veggie Pasta Salad
Written by Kelsey Riley
Our bodies require a minimum of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables each and every day to maintaing a healthy operating body. Many of us are a little negligent in this respect, I know that my diet sometimes wavers. How about yours, do you consume the recommended daily intake?
With me I know it is my hectic lifestyle, and the accesability of fresh produce in my house. Most often I grab whateverr is handy in the fresh produce section of my fridge. Yes I do categorise my fridge into different areas. I can be a litttle precious about that, hey I like a well organised fridge, dont you? This could be a carrot, a cucumber, or best of all is a celery stalk. I hate cooked celery but simply adore fresh crisp celery, not sure what it is about it.
Often the trouble is what to cook, and if you incorporate too many vegetable and not enough proteins, or meats into a meal. That the family simply wont eat them, which is understandable. The trick is to incoporate vegetables into things they already like. For example how popular is the margarita pizza? There is no meat in that, and look at how popular it is.
This veggie-filled pasta salad is a great way to add more fresh vegetables into your diet. This recipe is perfect for an easy make-ahead meal, great for picnics, and even school lunches!
Veggie Pasta Salad
- 1 large pot
- 1 lemon - juiced
- 2 tbls tahini
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tbls dijon mustard
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 1 ts Italian Seasoning
- ¼ ts salt
- ½ pound pasta
- 1 cup chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ cup cucumbers diced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- ½ cup bell peppers diced
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- ¼ cup red onion
- Start by cooking your pasta of choice according to the package instructions. Once the pasta is fully cooked, carefully drain, rinse, and set it aside.
- Next, combine all ingredients for the homemade dressing. Mix them together and set the dressing aside.
- Wash then prep all of the remaining ingredients according to the ingredient list.
- Combine the pasta, chickpeas, vegetables, and dressing in a large serving bowl and gently toss with salad tongs.
Veggie Pasta Salad Veggie Pasta Salad