This is a perfect salad for winter, as it can be enjoyed either warm or cold. Roasted Root Vegetable Salad uses carrots sweet potatoes, and black radishes. In a combination that is bound by a biting vinegarette dressing that works well.
If you are looking for ways to migrate to a more plant-based diet. Roasted Root Vegetable Salad, is certainly an option you should consider including into your repertoire. We can all be guilty at times of consuming excessive amounts of meats. From time to time it might be beneficial to our health to cut down on meats and temporarily look at a plant-based diet. It would also be beneficial to the environment given that fewer animals would be required due to reduced consumption.
Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Radishes
- baking tray
- Mixing bowl
- roasted vegetables
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 large carrots
- 1 lb red or black radishes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder or 1 clove or garlic - finely minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups kale - finely sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Juice from 1 medium sized lemon
- Preheat the oven to 420 deg F or 215 deg C.
- Cut sweet potato and carrots into large bite size pieces, about 2” or 5 cm cubes.
- Trim and halve the radishes. If using very large radishes, cut to approximately the same size as the sweet potato and carrot pieces.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots and radishes to a rimmed cookie sheet and add the olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Toss altogether till thoroughly mixed.
- Roast vegetables for 20 mins, toss, then roast for another 10-15 mins till golden brown and edges are crisp.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, add the kale and pour in a few tablespoons of the lemon dressing. Toss together to ensure that the kale is thoroughly coated with dressing. Add more dressing if desired. Cover and set bowl aside till ready to serve.
- To serve, place a bed of kale on a serving plate, and top with roasted root vegetables.
- This salad can be served warm or at room temperature.
Store leftover salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Let’s Make a Difference
Every day we have the opportunity to make hundreds of choices. We are so fortunate to live in a time where information is so easily accessible and we have the opportunity and freedom to make choices that we feel are the best for us and our families.
I encourage you to continue educating yourself and others about the benefits of living a plant-based lifestyle. Cook a plant-based meal, opt-out of products like leather, watch a documentary with a family member or friend. It’s easy to feel like the choices we make are small, but when we make these choices together, we can make a big difference!