Chocolate Ice Cream Bars
Written by Midhun Vasan
Delicious chocolate ice-cream bars dipped in chocolate and decorated as Rudolph the Reindeer! Perfect for your upcoming Holiday party!
Chocolate is always a favourite with both adults and children alike, and in this recipe, we see the playfulness and fun food allow us to experience. In this recipe, you get to enjoy simply flavours without the danger of added chemicals or nasties.
Ideally use the best ingredients that you can afford, the better the ingredients the more impressive the final result will be. Yes, this is a recipe for children, though don't they deserve to enjoy quality ingredients?
Chocolate Ice Cream Bars
- Mixing bowl
- Hand held mixer
- Icecream Sandwich Molds
- Icecream Sticks
- 1 can Condensed milk - 300 g
- 2 1/3 cup Heavy cream
- 3 tsp Cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp Water
- 600 grams Semi-sweet chocolate - chips or tiles If using unsweetened, then add required amount of sugar to taste
- 1 tsp Natural vanilla extract - optional
- 6 tbsp Oil
- Add cocoa powder and water to a small saucepan.
- On low heat, keep stirring continuously till all the cocoa is mixed well and you see no lumps
- Once mixed well, add 1/3 cup of heavy cream, and mix again.
- You can add in the vanilla extract, though this is optional
- Once you get a thick syrup, take if off heat and let it cool to room temperature
- Take the rest of the heavy cream in a large bowl and beat it using a handheld electric beater till you get stiff peaks
- Add the condensed milk and the prepared chocolate syrup.
- Gently fold in everything with a spatula. Don't stir as this could deflate the whipped up cream.
- Set up the ice cream mold ready with the ice cream stick inserted in it.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into the mold.
- Scrape off any extra filling with a knife or any flat surface.
- Cover the mold and freeze for at least 8 hours/ overnight.
- The next day, take the chocolate chips and oil in a small bowl.
- Heat in microwave for 30 seconds and then mix
- Heat another 10 seconds and mix again
- Repeat this till all the chocolate is mixed in and you see no lumps. Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate over a water bath as well
- Let the chocolate cool to room temperature
- While the chocolate is cooling, lets take the ice cream bars out of the mold.
- To make it easier, run the mold under warm water and then carefully remove the ice cream bars
- Place them on a tray lined with parchment paper and pop it in the freezer to let the ice cream bar firm up
- Move the cooled chocolate to a tall glass or container. The container needs to be deep enough to immerse the ice cream bars.
- Dip the ice cream bars in the chocolate and shake it off a bit to let the extra chocolate drain off to leave behind a thin coat/shell of chocolate.
- Just before the chocolate hardens around the ice cream bars, you can add any decors like sticking the pretzel, candy eyes and red M&M's to make Rudolf the Red-Nose-Reindeer
- The chocolate should harden within 15 to 20 seconds.
- Pop it back in the freezer or you can enjoy these right away.
Let’s Make a Difference
Every day we have the opportunity to make hundreds of choices. We are so fortunate to live in a time where information is so easily accessible and we have the opportunity and freedom to make choices that we feel are the best for us and our families.
I encourage you to continue educating yourself and others about the benefits of living a plant-based lifestyle. Cook a plant-based meal, opt-out of products like leather, watch a documentary with a family member or friend. It’s easy to feel like the choices we make are small, but when we make these choices together, we can make a big difference!