Written by Tenina Holder
- 30g coconut sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, freeze dried or roasted (see note)
- 200g flour
- 100g butter, cubed and chilled
- Pinch pink salt flakes
- 60g sour cream
- 110g bitter dark chocolate, melted (over 70% if possible)
- 3 eggs
- 200ml pure maple syrup
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 120g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 200g walnut pieces, roasted
- Place sugar and vanilla bean into a food processor and mill until fine.
- Add remaining pastry ingredients except sour cream and mix until a crumb forms.
- Add sour cream and continue mixing until you have a ball of dough.
- Tip dough out onto floured silpat mat and push into a disc. Refrigerate 15-30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry and line a 24 cm flan tin with removable base with the pastry. Place into the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave and set aside.16
- Place all remaining filling ingredients except the walnuts into a food processor and blend well. Stir though the walnuts.
- Brush the pastry base with the melted chocolate. Pour filling over. Bake 45-50 minutes until just set in the centre. Cool completely before topping with the cream.
To make the bourbon cream, place 400ml cream, 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, 3 tsp icing sugar and 20ml bourbon into a stand mixer and whip until soft peaks form. Top the pie with this cream in billowy mounds. Garnish with grated dark chocolate, or more chopped walnuts.