The traditional risotto prepared with arborio rice is a classic of the Italian kitchen. We have taken this and reworked it to substitute the rice with beautiful pearl barley. Which provides, as long as it is cooked correctly a similar level of creaminess as the rice provides. Our recipe here for Pearl Barley & Chanterelle Risotto featured the chanterelle mushroom, one of my favourite. They are delicious, and I like my mushrooms.
This is a recipe for an accomplished cook, as it does take time and patience to create a perfect outcome. Do not be discouraged if at first, you fail, just learn from your mistakes. Pearl Barley & Chanterelle Risotto is a recipe for everyone to enjoy and that includes those preparing it.
Pearl Barley & Chanterelle Risotto
- Heavy saucepan
- Heat the nage in a deep pot over a medium heat on the stove.
- In a large pot sauté off the onions, garlic, mushrooms and bayleaf with a little light olive oil.
- Once the onion is translucent add the barley, cooking out for several minutes prior to adding the wine, and de-glace.
- Add a third of the stock, together with the lemon zest, stir gently until the stock has been absorbed, then repeat the process another two times.
- Once the barley is al dente, add the peas, then the cheese, and mix through thoroughly.
- Adjust the seasoning as required, I like to add some chopped parsley at this point, but the choice is yours.
Let’s Make a Difference
Every day we have the opportunity to make hundreds of choices. We are so fortunate to live in a time where information is so easily accessible and we have the opportunity and freedom to make choices that we feel are the best for us and our families.
I encourage you to continue educating yourself and others about the benefits of living a plant-based lifestyle. Cook a plant-based meal, opt-out of products like leather, watch a documentary with a family member or friend. It’s easy to feel like the choices we make are small, but when we make these choices together, we can make a big difference!