With a Finger Lime Dipping Sauce
Written by Natasha Zervaas
This dish is inspired by Jules Mckie’s recipe for Thai fish cakes but I’m adding an Australian twist with a delicious dipping sauce utilising our native fruit and using omega 3 rich Salmon in place of white fish.
This is a simple enough recipe that everyone can make with little cooking experience. If you prefer to use different fish varieties, well the choice is yours depending upon your budget.
It is good to see Australian bush tucket ingredients being utilised in more recipes, such as this for Thai Fish Cakes. As they are tasty and readable available here in Australia.
Thai Fish Cakes with a Finger Lime Dipping Sauce
- food processor
- 500 grams of Australian free range Salmon - coarsely chopped
- ½ Cup Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 60 grams green Beans - finely chopped
- 1 Lime - Juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon gluten free Tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 Egg - lightly beaten
- 3 Spring onions - trimmed and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil - for frying
- 1 cup plain unsweetened Coconut yoghurt
- 1 red chilli - deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 Lime - Juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves
- ¼ teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 Finger Lime - Juice and pulp
- Place the Salmon in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add the Coriander, Lime juice and zest, Egg, Fish and Tamari sauces, and process until combined.
- Transfer the Salmon mixture to a large bowl. Add the Sea salt, Spring onions and Beans and stir until well combined.
- Place a large frying pan over medium heat and melt the Coconut oil. Divide the mixture up into eight equal portions and shape into patties.
- Fry the patties in two batches (four patties at a time so you don’t overcrowd the pan), fry for 4 minutes on each side or until lightly golden and cooked through. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and repeat with the remaining patties.
- Place all the ingredients into a medium sized bowl and mix well.
- Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Serve the Thai Fish Cakes with a green salad, the Finger Lime dipping sauce and extra Lime wedges.
Let’s Make a Difference
Every day we have the opportunity to make hundreds of choices. We are so fortunate to live in a time where information is so easily accessible and we have the opportunity and freedom to make choices that we feel are the best for us and our families.
I encourage you to continue educating yourself and others about the benefits of living a plant-based lifestyle. Cook a plant-based meal, opt out of products like leather, watch a documentary with a family member or friend. It’s easy to feel like the choices we make are small, but when we make these choices together, we can make a big difference!