7 Ways to Bring Joy into your Daily Life
Written by Camille Lucy
With the holidays upon us, it’s easy to get into the “spirit” of giving, joy and celebration. But, too often, after the New Year rings in and the days pass by, we lose that enthusiasm and motivation. We lose our perception of joy and celebration.
But, just the same way we are able to be Merry & Bright during the holiday season, we can choose to cultivate these feelings and experiences throughout the year… every day, even.
It is possible to… be excited everyday… look forward to each morning… care for and love yourself daily… feel loved and special all the time… celebrate life, practice gratitude and give to others. It is possible. Every. Single. Day.
Although there are countless ways to celebrate life, here are 7 simple tips to help you bring the holiday spirit inside (body, mind and spirit), all year long:
- Your home is a Sacred Space; treat it that way. Adorn your home with things you love, treasures that make you smile, and beautiful things that make you happy. A centerpiece with fresh cut flowers can bring life to your home. Music can fill the air with excitement and energy. Candles or an essential oil diffuser can create a beautifully aromatic space for you to enjoy and unwind in. Your home can be as unique as you; but make sure that it represents the little joys in life that you truly enjoy. (Life Everyday)
- Self Care & Love. This is a non-negotiable. You don’t have to spend a fortune to make sure you are taking care of yourself. Quality time in nature, meditation or movement like yoga or running, are great ways to make sure you’re being taken care of. Allow yourself small treats for accomplishing goals or to validate how far you’ve come, how strong you are and how absolutely amazing you are, inside and out. Give yourself me-time… no matter what.
- Attitude of Gratitude. During the holiday time, it’s easy to notice the small things, to appreciate others and life itself. But, we don’t have to limit this practice to once or twice a year. We can extend it out all year long and enjoy its profound healing benefits. Gratitude leads to love, understanding, kindness and compassion. When your mind is full of appreciation, it’s hard to feel bad or be irritable. Studies show that an attitude of gratitude improves psychological and physical health, along with the quality of life and relationships. (Life Everyday)
- Sing & Dance Away. Our bodies are designed to move. Explore your body’s natural desire to play and sway, and allow passion and enthusiasm to take over as you intuitively move with your favorite songs or sounds. Enjoy chores by singing and dancing, or just use movement and sound to help you start the day off right. There’s never a wrong time to incorporate a little fun and melody.
- Give a Gift. Let the important people in your life know how much they mean to you. Write a card, send a handwritten letter, make a DIY gift… extend appreciation, love and kindness to your people. It doesn't need to be a holiday to celebrate family and friends. You can even gift something to a stranger, just to Pay it Forward and add a little light to someone’s day.
- Hang with Mother Nature. Doreen Virtue said, “Connecting with Nature helps synchronize your rhythms to the Universal Heartbeat.” There is something magical about being in the great Outdoors. Aside from being meditative, full of fresh oxygen and sunshine (or beautiful stars), being outside connects us with All There Is. It allows us to see the big picture, to slow down and enjoy the beauty around us, and to remember our roots. The Earth is always supporting us. And she has a bounty of treasures for us to explore.
- Grab your Cape. We don’t need a special day to realize how powerful we really are. We have inside of us great strength, courage, love, light and knowledge. We have a built-in inner guidance system, barometers and intuition. At any given moment, we have the choice to be a shining light, bring good into this world and really make a difference. There’s nothing greater in life than leaving it better than before you came. Purpose gives us joy, peace and fulfillment. Our innate power is surely something to celebrate… every single day. (Life Everyday)
Perhaps you’ve heard the tale of the Cherokee and his grandson. He explained that we have two wolves in our heads; one that is unhappy and one that is happy. The Cherokee teaches his grandson that the wolf that survives is the one we feed. The happiest people are not the ones with the most “things” or the least. They are the ones that practice celebrating life, gratitude and focus on love and joy more often than not.
Cancer patient, Veronica Mora said,“ I have learned that even in the most difficult times, there is always something to be grateful for. No matter how bad things are, there is still hope.” (Life Everyday)
Find it, and begin to bring more joy, celebration and play into your daily life. After all, you are here. You are alive. That alone is reason for Celebration!