Written by Kevin Kapusi Starow
I do not have a favourite of anything, as I believe it limits one, though clafoutis always satisfies. This recipe Chocolate & Cherry Clafoutis takes the traditional recipe and adds cocoa, for something sublime. Again this is not a terribly technical recipe, though it does need attention till you are comfortable with making it.
Clafoutis combines vanilla and cherries, so the cherry season is the perfect time for this recipe when the fruit is at its peak.
Chocolate & Cherry Clafoutis is a sure winner with the kids, though I would strongly suggest you omit the kirsch, as it is not suitable for small children.
Chocolate & Cherry Clafoutis
- Baking dish
- 200 ml Double Cream
- 100 ml Milk - full cream
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 3 Eggs
- 55 gm Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Cocoa - bitter
- 70 gm Flour - plain
- 1 tbsp Kirsch
- 500 gm Cherries
- 1 Lemon - zested
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla pod and add to the cream, and heat in a pan to 75c, then remove from the heat, and stir in the milk.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, cocoa, and sugar till light in colour, then stir in the flour.
- Strain the cream mixture into the eggs, and combine well, with the kirsch, zest, and the cherries.
- Pour into a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown in colour.
- Remove from the oven, dust with icing sugar and serve.
Let’s Make a Difference
Every day we have the opportunity to make hundreds of choices. We are so fortunate to live in a time where information is so easily accessible and we have the opportunity and freedom to make choices that we feel are the best for us and our families.
I encourage you to continue educating yourself and others about the benefits of living a plant-based lifestyle. Cook a plant-based meal, opt-out of products like leather, watch a documentary with a family member or friend. It’s easy to feel like the choices we make are small, but when we make these choices together, we can make a big difference!