Homemade Ramen Bowls with Kombu
A delicious meal or snack throughout the year.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 inch ginger - grated
- 4 cups beef bone broth
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp mirin
- Two 2" pieces of kombu
- Two 3 oz packs of ramen noodles
- Optional toppings: Soft boiled eggs - kale, chopped green onions, furikake, red pepper flakes, sliced beef brisket, toasted sesame oil
- Take a large pot or Dutch oven and add the vegetable oil. Warm the pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and saute till softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic and stir till fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the soy sauce/coconut aminos and mirin. Stir to combine.
- Add the bone broth and kombu.
- Bring the broth up to a gentle simmer, not boiling, for about 10 minutes.
- If needed, skim any froth from the surface of the broth.
- Remove the kombu from the broth before the broth starts boiling.
- Add the ramen noodles and cook per the packet instructions, usually about 2-3 minutes, or till tender.
- Serve the noodles and broth in large bowls, and top with your favorite ramen bowl toppings such as soft boiled eggs, kale, chopped green onions, sliced beef brisket and toasted sesame oil.
- Enjoy immediately!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!