How can you not love a crisp fresh salad, and this is a traditional favourite Fattoush Salad. Typically it is like a garden salad on steroids, with the crisp of the toasted bread, the mint and the sumac. Instantly you have an amazing flavour explosion in your mouth, which is sure to impress even the harshest critique.
The Fattoush Salad has its origins in middle eastern cuisine gaining popularity in the west. Through either, I assume migration and/or travel of intrepid explorers. This is a simple recipe you can prepare almost anywhere, with the most exotic ingredient being the sumac.
- Mixing bowl
- 3 Tomatoes - ripe cut into large dice
- 2 Manaheesh - or toasted pita bread
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers diced
- 4 Baby Cos Lettuce - washed & torn
- ½ bnch Mint - torn
- ½ bnch Parsley - Italian roughly chopped
- 1 Spanish onion - finely sliced
- 20 gm Sumac
- 50 ml Lemon Juice
- 180 ml Olive oil
- 20 ml Pomegranate molasses
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard.
- In a mixing bowl combine the sumac, juice, molasses and mustard.
- Slowly whisk in the oil to create a thick emulsion.
- Combine all of the ingredients, except for the sumac in a large bowl and dress liberally with the dressing.
- Sprinkle with the sumac just prior to serving.
Let’s Make a Difference
Every day we have the opportunity to make hundreds of choices. We are so fortunate to live in a time where information is so easily accessible and we have the opportunity and freedom to make choices that we feel are the best for us and our families.
I encourage you to continue educating yourself and others about the benefits of living a plant-based lifestyle. Cook a plant-based meal, opt-out of products like leather, watch a documentary with a family member or friend. It’s easy to feel like the choices we make are small, but when we make these choices together, we can make a big difference!