Written by Kevin Kapusi Starow
- 800gm Asparagus, trimmed
- 250gm Onion, peeled & chopped
- 2 Leeks, peeled washed & chopped
- 100gm Watercress, washed
- 2 lt Chicken Stock
- Thyme leaves
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Remove the tips of the asparagus and save for later, chop the rest of the stalks roughly.
- In a deep pot gently sauté off the onions, thyme, & leek till soft and translucent.
- Add the chopped asparagus and sauté off for a minute or so to coat itself in the favours of the pot.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and allow to cook out for 20 or so minutes, till the asparagus is tender.
- Puree the soup either with an immersion blender or a liquidizer till smooth.
- Season the soup with salt & pepper then put back on the heat, add the tips and the cress and allow to cook out for several minutes till tender.
- Serve with a poached egg and crusty bread, drizzled with olive oil.
Note: A nice accompaniment to this soup would be Zaatar Manaqish