Either consume this soup hot or cold, it can be enjoyed either way, the combination of fresh ingredients allows the flavour to be enjoyed either way. Creamy Asparagus & Watercress Soup brings together not only healthy ingredients but rather ingredients that are packed full of power. The vitamins and health benefits of asparagus and watercress are enormous, not to mention they taste damn good together.
We have paired this soup with a chargrilled sourdough, scraped with a healthy garlic clove to provide a balanced dish, what would you use?
Creamy Asparagus & Watercress Soup
- Immersion blender
- 800 gm Asparagus - trimmed
- 250 gm Onion - peeled & chopped
- 2 Leeks - peeled washed & chopped
- 100 gm Watercress - washed
- 2 lt Chicken Stock
- Thyme leaves
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Remove the tips of the asparagus and save for later, chop the rest of the stalks roughly.
- In a deep pot gently sauté off the onions, thyme, & leek till soft and translucent.
- Add the chopped asparagus and sauté off for a minute or so to coat itself in the favours of the pot.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and allow to cook out for 20 or so minutes, till the asparagus is tender.
- Puree the soup either with an immersion blender or a liquidizer till smooth.
- Season the soup with salt & pepper then put back on the heat, add the tips and the cress and allow to cook out for several minutes till tender.
- Serve with a poached egg and crusty bread, drizzled with olive oil.
Note: A nice accompaniment to this Creamy Asparagus & Watercress Soup would be Zaatar Manaqish
Let’s Make a Difference
Every day we have the opportunity to make hundreds of choices. We are so fortunate to live in a time where information is so easily accessible and we have the opportunity and freedom to make choices that we feel are the best for us and our families.
I encourage you to continue educating yourself and others about the benefits of living a plant-based lifestyle. Cook a plant-based meal, opt out of products like leather, watch a documentary with a family member or friend. It’s easy to feel like the choices we make are small, but when we make these choices together, we can make a big difference!